DADAism wasn't an art movement, it was anti-art. In this same spirit, cookingDADA is far from gourmet, but at least everything here is edible. Enjoy!

Friday, August 31, 2012

Homemade Pizza FAIL


Dough dump.
When it comes to food blogs and magazines, we are all accustomed to seeing pretty pictures of perfect food that looks deliciious.

But let's be real.

If you have ever spent any time in the kitchen, you know perfect results rarely arrive without several trial runs, often disastrous ones.

This is even more true when there is a learning curve involved. Well, when it comes to pizza, I have a very large learning curve in front of me. I can count one otber occasion many years ago when I made my own dough, rolled it into roundish pizza shapes and topped them with something edible. On this first occasion, beginner's luck was with me.

Alas, today I had no such luck. The dough came out ok, just a little sticky. After rolling into amorphous  shapes that were thin in the middle and thicker at the edges, I placed them on a heavy cast iron griddle (my pizza stone!)

I proceeded to add tomato sauce made from scratch. I just neglected to taste it first. Oops.

Next I added the toppings; fresh grated mozzarella, pepperoni, sausage, green peppers. I did this twice. The idea was to have a total of four small pizzas.

Lesson 1: Don't undercook the pizzas.
Lesson 2: Unevenly rolled dough is unpalatable. Undercook it and the word disgusting comes to mind.

But these small mishaps paled compared to the Second Batch.

Once again I rolled out the dough. Once again I placed them on the griddle and topped them with the fixings.

Lesson 3: A cast iron griddle is even heavier when hot. Don't drop it.

Next time I'll be more careful:

EPIC fail.
I scooped up the contents off of the door and dumped them in a skillet. 20 minutes of scrubbing later and I was ready to do it again. Then I called Dominoes. I can fight the battle of the dough again tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment